menubar

Monday, September 13, 2021

How Minimax Approached Bob’s Xenochrony

Listen
24 August 2021
Tailgate


Below: Minimax notes.

Here's my Notes and Selected Backstories to fill out the patterns I was talking about:

***
***re "I'm willing to take Bob's word for it that iON is the number 1 thing going on in our culture but I can't help but be focused on the number 2 thing, or number 1A ..." ... or I can't help but hunt for the dominant echo or reflection of iON&Bob in Perseus' shield as my primary way of investigating & interacting with iONic energies ...
... but it's also just that I really went hard on Bob's old categories and found them very useful then and still find them very useful and I'm not especially pleased with the idea that they're obsolete ... they may be but they're still part of the Stairway to iONdom if you're going to really retrace how we got where we are, in a Time-school way ...if we're trying to build stable bridges from where the average disappeared person is gone at, to iONdom ... the direct route ("here's a link to Studio A! Jump in completely unprepared!") is great fun and good fuel but maybe not the best strategy for really reaching that atom of audience ... maybe those interactions amuse the existing fans at the expense of useful outreach / saving souls? ... not criticizing, maybe building stable bridges is not a high priority in the mission statement, just noting that the categories of AM/AP and other mostly-neglected aspects of old-school Bob-babble remain very useful ... I sometimes feel like someone who worked some years in the more modest original headquarters, and while I celebrate the opening of the taller shinier new building next door, I'm content to remain based in the old building, crossing Is and dotting Ts and folding old insights into paper airplanes which I try to throw from the old roof in through the new windows.
***
*** 28:50... Board game cafe as antienvironment to social media (in-person interaction with 'hardware apps'??)?? Social media flips into board game cafes?
The flagship SNAKES AND LATTES store Bob & I visited on Bloor is still there.


***
***37:-- I referred to the CONTINUOUS sync-vortex (as opposed to intermittent/occasional discrete sync-events) as "a very mystic state of mind" but it's more narcissistic ... visionary for sure but often returning to a vision of myself as the focal-point of whole-culture energies. (In the double-monocular haptic space of VR the only possible vanishing point is the viewer -- Eric McLuhan (semiquoting from memory) ) ...

***
***49:-- "I'm not going to get into it [but it was a triple play in 2012 that got me back into the Jays after almost 20 years of indifference]" ... well, that and the fact that one of their players in 2012 was named Colby Rasmus (Colbert/Erasmus)

To get into it, a simple question: is it a fact that the Blue Jays executed a triple play in the 92 World Series?? NO and YES are BOTH CORRECT ANSWERS -- 'in the AM sense' and 'in the AP sense', respectively -- 'Is it a fact in the official statistical record'? NO, officially the glove never touched the runner's heel -- 'Is it a fact in physical reality'? YES, that is considered incontrovertibly evident on the replay by everyone. Neither answer is really complete without the contrarily-correct counterfact... but they don't lack equally. I already savoured this particular BOTHNESS as an example of a 'resonant interval' between AM and AP but it was elevated to legendary status by the Triple Play of 2012.

The context which made it so uncanny was my mixed feelings about Richard Hoagland & Mike Bara's DARK MISSION book which had launched me on a powerful sync-vortex in the first half of 2008. I was bothered by their confidence that if they could find a prominent 33-or 19.5-degree angle in the astrology of an Apollo lunar landing site, then that was sufficient proof that the site and time was deliberately chosen by the religious nuts at NASA to include that angle as a "Ritual Alignment" gesture in order to make the Apollo missions double as symbolic overtures to Isis ... it was a reasonable presumption, the way they argued it, I just thought that the spirit of Synchronicity as I knew it would not be able resist a kind of 'donation-matching' phenomenon, where NASA's efforts to embed those angles into the timing and placement of their launches and landings would cause the final results to contain MORE of those angles than they had intentionally put there ... just on some kind of principle that if the activity you are engaged in is both so extremely archetypal and so boundary-pushing and NOVEL, then you can't possibly be in full conscious control of what you're doing, that the collective unconscious would necessarily express itself along with and on top of the conscious ritual artistry ... basically my thought was 'I bet the people at NASA are really tripped out by this book because they expected it to expose some or maybe all of their ritual alignments, but they didn't expect to be astonished to learn that there were other similar alignments they didn't intend, which the authors assume they did intend' ... ... ...

... ... ... and it was April 2012 and I was wondering how I could express this idea to those authors directly (since they were accessible on facebook) when what to my wondering ears should AP-hear, but the radio news that "the Blue Jays turned their first Triple Play in 33 years!" ... and of course my first thought (along with all other fans of the Golden Age Jays) was: 'not counting the one they turned in the World Series, you mean!' Probably that radio speaker and surely most of the radio audience knew about the World Series Triple Play, but as far as the AM's Book Of Life and its OFFICIAL STATISTICS were concerned this was the first Triple Play since 1979, not since 1992.

So of course my next thought was 'how long has it REALLY been then?' and it quickly became clear that it had been approximately 19.5 years since October!! So there's a 33 AND a 19.5, together! Aligned! As if by design? And after a bit more focused attention to correct for our wonky irregular months, it turns out that the Blue Jays turned a Triple Play PRECISELY 19.500 years after the "unofficial" one they turned on the world's biggest catwalk. Which is not only astonishingly precise, for such a relevantly meaningful coincidence, it makes a great joke since "19.5" is only a magic number (as far as Hoagland&Bara know, anyway) because it is the 'rounded-up' form of the truly magic ANGLE of 19.47 degrees. (Look it up!!) While in this coincidence, the 33 was the low-definition/imprecise rounded number and the 19.5 -- NOT 19.47 -- was precise!!

So basically it seemed like Isis herself reached down and tweaked the Android Meme's nipple to possess the Blue Jays (and their opponents!) to perform a Triple Play on the occasion of that unnoticed potential 33/19.5 alignment ... and apparently for my sake! Or, not 'for me', but for the sake of my impulse to progress the language. That's why it makes sense to me that I'd experience an 'earsplitting echo' shortly after a long bout of intense explaining-myself and telling-sync-stories and promising-to-tell-more-sync-stories. That's why it made sense to me in late 2008 that the Android Meme would 'be motivated to' (?) send me frequent syncs that all functioned as potentially useful organizing frameworks for the sync-themes I was trying to write about. The idea that this was some kind of semi-sentient 'spirit of language-squared' was congruent with the idea that it would vorticitate around the heads of those who were committed to describing it.

Now, of course, back in those days I was credulous enough to believe that NASA had actually performed these spaceflights and moon landings, that these 'ritual alignments' had a real-world 'AP' component instead of being a Big Ol' shAM-WOW. That takes the edge off somewhat, but it remains remarkable that these angles did show up repeatedly and consistently in those CLAIMED flightpaths (or so I presume, I never heard any criticism that Hoagland & Bara calculated the lunar heavens incorrectly) ... and I realize now the similarity between disbelieving that NASA actually launched these objects to very precise targets so very far away, and disbelieving that MLB players can deliberately hit the Foul Pole or the top of the outfield fence with a home run, regardless of other feats they may be able to pull off on cue for whatever reason...

Anyway, I did try reaching out to those authors with that story on fb shortly afterward. No response either time, maybe it didn't reach them, I don't know. But it also occurred to me to be amazed that the Jays had managed to go 33 years without an official Triple Play! That's a long time! (they are currently, TODAY in fact, exactly 31 years since their first-and-last no-hitter by Dave Stieb! 1 no-hitter in 44 years is ridiculous) That, combined with the importance of the Jays and the Temple Complex where they perform to my 'inner child' psychic powerplant, and other charmingly quasi-occult/Masonic details about baseball in general, made me wonder if the Jays could have as rich a 'sync potential' as I found Colbert to have all those years ago. And thus was Chaos Jaysomancy born. And that, dear friends, is the story of why @jaysomancy's first tweet tags both @Mike_Bara and @NASAJPL (Bara liked the tweet)
--------------------------------

***
*** why am I fixating on what in sports can be rigged and what can't??
It goes back to that NASA question of whether the existence of synchronicity makes it impossible to ever assume someone encoded something on purpose, even when it seems to exhibit 'multi-factor authentication'... but a funny thing happened in 2016: the Blue Jays blog I was following linked to a Sync blog that I didn't follow: https://bluejaysnation.com/2016/10/05/oh-no-proof-that-the-jays-wild-card-walk-off-win-was-scripted/ 'Free To Find Truth' had a post claiming that the glorious Wildcard Walkoff Homerun we'd just enjoyed had been "scripted" -- citing patterns in the numbers generated by running related names and words through multiple gematria calculators. It didn't seem like a very strong pattern to me, but the fact was that baseball fans were puzzled by the Baltimore manager's decision not to bring in his best relief pitcher for that crucial moment. It was a decision that didn't seem to make any sense ... unless perhaps a Jays win was, as he says, "scripted"?

But this guy had no awareness of that aspect, he was just responding to sports headlines by running the keywords through his calculators and declaring "DESIGN!" due to some inscrutably significant repeating number. The Jays blog author introduced the link sarcastically, 'gee this fellow has proven it was all planned' but nothing nasty was said... but then the sync guy responded with this unhinged repellent venom-bomb against the Jays blog author calling him a Jew a bunch of times as if that's why he's 'attacking' him (by giving him exposure at the low price of some very mild ribbing??) ... and it just really solidified for me the idea that being too willing to scream "SCRIPTED!" was caught up in a character-flaw complex, as well as the basic error that major coincidences never 'happen on their own' ... solidified the kind of 'sync research' I didn't want to do and the kind of 'sync researcher' I didn't want to be ... I'm the craziest sync-head I know but I had to side with the normie sportsfans against the synchromystic in that skirmish!

*** I should say something walking back my exaggerated claim that I "knew" Cabrera would hit his 500th while I was there, because that wasn't an example of either of the things I usually mean by that ... I say "it was just too perfect/made too much sense" or something like that, and that is more accurate -- there was a major Deep Chord whose ideal resolution was the Detroit Tiger MC hitting HR number D in my AP-proximate presence, and I felt fairly confident that the Chord in question was Deep enough that it would indeed resolve in that ideal way -- there have been other times when I simply "knew" something was going to happen, for no particularizeable reason, and my anticipation of MC Triple Crown's Big Round Number was not like those times and I don't want to confuse the anticipations. I wouldn't have been baffled if it didn't happen, I just felt strongly that it was so symbolically appropriate and proportionate that it was highly "likely". I would have been genuinely surprised, though, which would have been a pretty crazy was to react, frankly, but funny enough the issue didn't arise since my expectation was in fact fulfilled.
It didn't turn out well for the Jays though, they gave up the tying run on a terrible baffling error, and ended up losing in extra innings. Today (that I'm typing this) they gave up the goahead run to the Tigers on a terrible baffling error, and ended up losing. That game that I predicted 'Vladdy in the sixth'? They ended up losing in extras. My occasional ability to foresee specific game-events is not necessarily helpful to the cause of 'team Canada'.
------------------

***
***'what I really love is that stadium' -- also in that episode of Twin Peaks, just before Agent Cooper's pitching ritual, is the scene where Ed ruins Nadine's prototype of a totally silent drape runner ... can't help but think of the impressively silent running of the enormous SkyDome roof panels ...
***

***1:54 "I'm not a published writer really -- well, I've had ten words published"
I like to compose anagrams, and I've sent a few of the best ones to the Daily Mail who publish one every day on their miscellaneous amusements page. On New Year's Day 2019 they published one of mine: PRESIDENT OBRADOR OF MEXICO ~ ONCE PROMISED TO FIX A BORDER. Follow @linusminimax for more of my original anagrams. You can even support my bizarre unmonetizeable work on synchronicity-as-artform by purchasing NFTs of my tweets! Furthermore, here's me playing the saw: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCRPN78-ZpBYwIMYGsncj2w And here's me doing that jerkoff solo I described. Not my best work, sadly, and not enough room on this stage to collapse in exhaustion, but you get the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxnNc7a5LZc

***
***1:56 "I could kick the door of alt.slack down and murder them all in ten minutes"
well, just the ones who were being idiots about Bob. Which was most of them at one point or another but some in particular considered themselves expert Deanie-bashers and regularly designated themselves for that duty, that's who I mean. I did 'murder' at least one of them back then ... but I liked alt.slack most of the time, it was just that chronic foible where they used Bob as an excuse to flip into their opposite that made me reach for my revolver.

Here's a good sample-thread from 2007, someone launched a petition to wikipedia, to reverse their previous decision? -- My interaction is pretty far down the line ... I acknowledge McLuhan was a bit of a borrower himself but also suggest he is the most 'SubGenius' of famous philosophers, 'Ankara' counters with Crowley as a more appropriate candidate for that title, I point out how Crowley recycled lots of material he borrowed from others, not to mention his arrogantly self-bestowed name/title that he got from someone else's book (The Beast 666) ... pretty much the same list of crimes they denounce you for ... 'Ankara's response to that particular point is quite telling: https://groups.google.com/g/alt.slack/c/jcYUG94-WJg/m/1iu1LxKMtXsJ

***
*** The Church Of The SubGenius "beat" Derrida/Baudrillard et al
Now this would be something to really write about. And I suppose now that they've more-or-less officially dropped their collective Straight Face, the time might finally be right for that. Over the years reading Baudrillard is always also an experience of reading 'why "Bob"?' (In The Shadow Of The Conspiracy Of Normals) I took many notes on this theme in the past and thought that most of them were lost but I was reunited with some survivors lately, taking my time going through them but found my notes to DIFFERENCE & REPETITION by Deleuze and the main focus of those notes is applying various passages to issues raised by "Bob", and by Bob vs "Bob". And since this conversation I learned that Deleuze sometimes played the saw in class!
-----------------------------

***
***what kind of synchronicities did I experience after recording those conversations in 2008?? Well, in the interval between the recordings and the epic vortex I came to call The Colbert Rapport was THE MANKIEWICZ COINCIDENCE as a paradoxical 'intensifying shield' ...
(( ... I was somehow obscurely reassured that synchronicity could function as a kind of 'protection' even when its immediate effect was to massively magnify the force of the blow ... as if a swordtip was lunging my way and would have pierced me only an inch, but in just the right spot to puncture a lung and create a sucking chest wound, and instead the AM deflected the blow so that I was *run through completely* on a line that avoids essential organs ... so that I am safely IMPALED rather than grievously wounded ... or something ... ... the point being I had not yet begun to suspect that such a sword might really be thrust at me on purpose, it was more of an intellectual probe that spoke to the idea of 'fake syncrhonicity' like I described on that 2008 recording about the 'gnomes say hooray' radio coincidence -- that there was an automatic eruption of a paranoid 'did that DJ put that on at that time in order to fuck with me?' thought which did not find any lasting purchase but was still a remarkable observation of my own mind recoiling from the steep improbability by desperately grasping for some 'efficient cause' ... ))

It's a quick enough story it was late September 2008 and I was past my deadline and the vortex was building in the form of almost daily syncs that could serve as useful ports-of-entry to the thing I was trying to write, and the vortex was brewing and building and I'd only recently started regularly watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and I was reading HunterSThompson's Fear And Loathing On The Campaign Trail '72 at the time and there's a prominent character, a campaign manager I think, named John Mankiewicz ... and I was reading it during the last commercial of TDS, before Stewart would come back and present The Moment Of Zen before Colbert started ... and as the commercial ended I was just reading a sentence that said "And then I looked up and saw John Mankiewicz ...", and then I looked up ... but this was one of those occasional night where instead of TMOZ they presented a brief exchange between Stewart and Colbert as if their shows were live and Colbert was getting ready to begin just as Stewart was finishing ... Come to think of it maybe they were parodying that manner of fakery as perpetrated by major news networks? anyway they tended to seem improvised, this time Colbert was acting as if he didn't know Stewart very well and couldn't remember his name, and guessed "Johnnnnn ... I wanna saaaaaay ... Mankiewicz??"

I read "and then I looked up and saw John Mankiewicz", and then I looked up and saw [Colbert say] 'John Mankiewicz'.
The thoughts traced above were accompanied by an impression that this Colbert character was 'a real live wire' when it came to synchronicity.

Around the same time as the above sync, I think it was very shortly afterward? On September 22, 2008 I was watching when someone guessed the price of their Showcase exactly, a five digit number ... and it immediately raised 'conspiracy theories' -- did he cheat? was it rigged to create some attention for the show? -- and that plugged into the basic theme I'd been wrestling with, as a possible 'spine'-theme for the sync-story-essay I was trying to write, that the basic unit of 'conspiracy theory' is the debunking of false coincidences. (the old "coincidence? I think not" rhetorical gesture) But that's also the basic unit of science! Anyway, they ended up making a documentary a few years ago about the fact that the guy DID cheat! It wasn't a 'lucky guess'!! But, it wasn't that simple, either...
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6854248/

-----------------------

(29/8) Wow, had an amazing double callback to the Mankiewicz and then to the price is precisely right probe connected by the crypto numbers ... right after making an effort to tell the stories, of course ... like blowback ... wow ...
The Jays-Tigers game was on in the background as I was consolidating muh shitcoins ahead of the coinbase deadline and the remaining nmr could have made a juicy number in either mana or btc, I kept refreshing the convert max calculator to see if it would hit one of the desired detail numbers ... I had a target for the btc that would have required a 29694, which the exchange value was hovering near as both prices changed. But the prices didn't refresh every second or five or ten or thirty seconds; sometimes the offered value would pass over a target in between refreshes ... in one of these intervals, when it had offered an exchange for 29695, just one away, I was refreshing to see if it would have moved only 1 on the next frame (usually it moves a dozen or so) ... and then Mr. 500 Cabrera got a hit and I looked up (from my scanning for 29694) to see fans in the stands with giant numbers spelling out 2969 !!! But that was NOT his 2969th hit, it was his 2959th... but the camera caught this group in the process of changing the number ... maybe they thought it was his 2960th?? I don't know, but wow -- the incredibly subtle and appropriate thematic nuance introduced by this detail, not to mention the vastly increased improbability! That the exact number would emerge on screen despite NOT because it matched the number of hits he was sitting on OR the number he had now reached but a FLEETING ERROR caused by the amateur analog fan-funded nature of the representation ... if the number I was looking for happened to be his hit number, that would be a very different sort of sync, I think ... anyway, wow ...

... but the price passed on and I didn't bite ... ... not too long after that it happened to hit not just my very cool target, but my excellent target with the extra digit, for the mana, without a lot of refreshing, nice and smooth so I did it ...

... and then I decided to purchase my way to the btc target that was echoed on screen, it seemed like a no-brainer like how could you ignore advice that went to such lengths?? And I didn't look closely where the btc price had moved since before I just quickly BALLPARKED the principal and the fee and decided to see how close to the target I would be if I tried $20.02 ... AND IT WAS PRECISELY RIGHT. First try! Five digits, just like on The Price Is Right!! BUT *unlike* that guy back then who had STOLEN the correct answer from a guy who CALCULATED it in his quest to be the ultimate TPIR contestant ... quite the opposite of what I did! Mine was more like a hole in one or buzzer-beater from halfcourt.

I mean, wowsers af. Typical quality of the astonishing cumulative callback, a real CLASSIC ... just WOW each of the incidents on their own are improbable, the first a major sync on its own, BUT THE WAY IT PERFECTLY HARMONIZES / OVERTONES THE RECENT BOBVERSATION RE INTERVAL BETWEEN 2008 BOBVERSATION AND THE LATEST BASEBALL SYNC RE M CABRERA ... is just astonishing, the multiple perfect plugins, not just 'managing to' somehow plugin but doing so with an elegance that feels effortless ... frictionless ...

... ... and the *'four-of-five digits'* ----> *'all five digits'* pattern points toward an apt meta diagnosis on the Tiny Note Chart -- these phenomena are a product of the interval between the Tetrad and the Pentad or Kroker and Dobbs quadrants. (I was like 'four out of five ain't bad', but I wanted that fifth) ...

McLuhan spoke of electric technology creating a situation which is a reasonable facsimile of the mystical body of christ ... perhaps this is a reasonable facsimile of 'The Counsellor'? Or... perhaps it's not an echo at all??

No comments: