menubar

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Bob Dobbs’ Diaries: July 14/1937 (London)



Wyndham Lewis: Bob, let me suggest to you how to penetrate a fascination you will have in about ten years. Every generation is obsessed with the events and dramas of the immediately preceding generation. If you study the debate James Joyce and I had in our writings a decade ago you will have a front-row seat and a healthy close-up on our concerns.

Dobbs: Well, I know one of my father's great obsessions is the book Mr. Joyce is supposed to be writing right now. Is he still debating with you?

Lewis: He certainly is. I'm familiar with what he's working on now and I can prove to you that I am one of the main protagonists in his new book. One of the main images I used on my side of the debate was the insect. I expressed the fear that our society was beginning to turn into a giant mechanical bug. And if you read the parts Joyce has published in Transition magazine, you will see the main character is a man named after an insect--an earwig, to be specific.

Dobbs: What's his name?

Lewis: Earwicker.

Bob giggled as he peered more closely at the colour of the brushstrokes Mr. Lewis was adding to his portrait of Renè.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A true joy to read. The illustration adds an extra layer of depth and character.