menubar

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Bob Dobb’s Diary: Dec. 19/1944 (Ardennes Forest, France)



American Soldier: Let me see your papers.

Fritz Kraemer handed the papers over to the guard at the gate. Bob and Connie sat beside Kraemer in the front of the jeep shivering in the bitter cold.

Soldier: Who won the World Series in 1940?

Kraemer: I don't know.

Connie:The Cincinnati Reds.

Bob was stunned and looked at Connie, then at Kraemer. They were both very calm. How'd she know that?

Soldier: What's the name of Betty Grable's third husband?

Kraemer: I don't know.

Connie: Harry James.

Soldier: You have a German accent. I can't let you through.

Kraemer: I left Germany in 1939.

Soldier: You don't seem to have any knowledge of American culture.

Kraemer: I've been in the military since I arrived in America. I haven't had the time to enjoy its popular culture and, frankly, I have no interest in it. Why is this an important matter?

Soldier: Because German soldiers wearing American uniforms murdered 86 American soldiers at Malmedy a few days ago. We're under strict orders to interrogate everybody regardless of who they appear to be.

Kraemer: Make your decision, then. But consider how she knew the answers. She's no German and wouldn't be caught dead with one.

Connie: I used to date Joe DiMaggio.

Soldier (overwhelmed by Connie's beaming face): Okay, you can go through.

Bob relaxed, but Kraemer and Connie didn't express anything. I couldn't have answered those questions. I don't know anything about American so-called culture. How could Connie know about it? But come to think of it, "Connie" sounds like an Americanization of “Constance.” Strange. Damn, it's cold!

No comments: